Sunday, August 14, 2011

State of Wonder, by Ann Patchett

I was shocked when I read a description of this novel as "a creepy fountain of youth story." Those words are far from the ones I would use to describe this magnificent adventure story. If you want to experience authentic life in the Amazon jungle of South America; if you want to live among a fascinating tribe mostly untouched by modern civilization; if you want to witness the devotion of doctors to the betterment of humanity; and if you want to see this outrageously dangerous and beautiful adventure from the point of view of a lovely woman dedicated to both her work and her friends; then this novel, nothing like a fountain of youth tale, is for you. The characters and the setting, brilliantly crafted, linger in my mind long after closing the book. I can't wait to read it again.

I highly recommend this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment